Hey! I’m a grown up! And, through extensive research , i have found that most of us felt like outsiders growing up…always thinking someone else had better or “real” friends. huh. And I thought it was just me. Geeesh.
Now that I’m over that… I have been looking at friends and friendships.. the relationship I have with people I call friends.
The people that mean something somehow more special to me than the other people I simply enjoy when they happen to be around.
My take on friends? Let’s just do a top 10 list.
- They don’t feel the need to correct or protect me.
- They run with me into the unexpected.
- …or they don’t, but they are still there when I come back!
- They don’t feel the need to decide if what I am doing is “right” or “wrong”.
- They are curious and passionate, with a dimmer switch. They don’t need ME to learn and live a robust life, but are happy to do that WITH me.
- They are vulnerable. They let me in without fear of judgement. They WANT to be known… and to know.
- Friends bring hope. Not through encouragement, but through their existence. It’s ethereal.
- They call bullshit without the need to take it to a fight.
- They understand where the lines are, because they have set them internally. They are inherent in their being. (We call this boundaries) AND they can handle my squiggly lines 😉
- Their circles are ever expanding. With or without me.
I didn’t take too much time thinking through this list, certainly 10 thoughts aren’t going to describe what I find important in a friend, or what friendships can look like. And it’s order is arbitrary.
What I know for sure (today) is that a friend fills your soul and is fed by yours. In big and small ways. I also know that I am grateful beyond measure for mine.